So I’ve been tossing around the idea of trying to drink just water for a while and I thought I would give it a shot this month. Because my sugar capacity each day is way past maximum, mostly due to my morning coffee and sweet iced tea! So in the name of health and wellbeing and energy and all that good stuff, I embark on a whole month of just water (mostly). (I mean, there are a few days that I have decided I will let myself indulge… a very special birthday, the fourth of July, and a wedding.)
This challenge came to me while I was sitting in a café with a friend, catching up, having a good time… and drinking 8 cups of Dr. Pepper. Yeah… I like Dr. Pepper. And sweet iced tea. It’s kind of a problem. So then and there I decided that it was time to cut back. Instead of my usual morning coffee or afternoon sweet tea, I will be drinking water.
I’ve decided to tackle a water challenge this month for a couple of reasons.
- For better health. Heaven knows I probably consume 10x the daily recommended intake of sugar on a daily basis during the summer months. So this will help me be healthier by helping me stay hydrated and hopefully cutting my sugar intake way down.
- For more energy. When I think of summer I think of all the fun things to do. Lake parties, hiking, swimming, walks, you get the idea. But I’ve been low on energy lately. Which means it’s hard to do all that fun stuff. So I’m hoping a month of water will boost my energy levels for all the fun ahead!
- For a clear complexion. My face has been breaking out like nothing else lately. I think it’s all the sunscreen. The sugar definitely has nothing to do with it. The caffeine doesn’t either. Nothing at all.
- To hopefully
break my addiction to sweet teabuild a habit of drinking more water on a regular basis even after the water challenge ends. Because it’s good for you.
I wanted to keep it simple for this challenge, so I’m not going to be downing a gallon of water every day. (I think I would be sick if I did that. There is such a thing as drowning by drinking too much water. I think.) What I am going to do is cut out all beverages except for water, and try to get 8 cups of water in each day this month. Of course, if I’m out in the sun all day or I’m super ambitious and do a workout, then I will be drinking more. My goal isn’t to drink as much water as humanly possible- it’s to make a habit of reaching for water instead of all the yummy, sugar-ladened drinks I usually go for. Also, like I said earlier, I’ve already decided that it’s okay for me to have some tea or a glass of champagne on certain special occasions this month. To me it’s more important to get into the habit of drinking water than to have a die-hard-nothing-but-water rule to adhere to.
So for 30 days my goals for this challenge are:
- Drink only water (except the 3 special occasions this month)
- Drink 8 glasses of water, since it’s the recommended amount for my weight! (I will definitely drink more if I’m thirsty.)
So that’s the plan! It’s super simple, but sometimes simple is best. I will be checking in with you a couple of times this month, then at the end of the month to let you know how it went. You can join me if you like!